LS Lowry and Angel Meadow


One of Lowry's muses was the great St. Michael's and All Angels Church that once stood at the top of Angel Meadow. He frequently adopted its image into his canvasses in order to portray an Industrial Northern landscape.

Study for The Playground (1927)

 

The Steps, Irk Place (1928) and Study

The study was drawn on the back of a postcard.

 

View of a Town (1936)

St. Michael's Church is the central focus here - with the gaze of the man in the foreground directing us at it. Artistic licence has been employed filling the skyline with smoky chimneys reminiscent of the industrial heritage of the area.

 

  

St. Michael's Church and All Angels 1941 (& Study 1933)

The views of these two paintings should be familiar to most residents- looking up from Corporation St towards the entrance to the park at the junction of Aspin Lane and Angel St.

Nb. St. Michael's Church was demolished in 1935 after Lowry had sketched the original scene for the later painting.

 


Britain at Play (1943)

St. Michael's Church again looms in the distance, however, in the foreground the area known as St Michael's Flags (as it was once covered in flagstones) is seen here as a playground with swings on it.